Cara - crash recorders
Cara was developed for the motor insurance industry, and is a range of low-cost crash recorders. Cara collects data required by industry in order tounderstand the severity and cause of an accident.
No external power source is required for Cara crash recorders as they make use of an internal battery-pack, which provides up to 5 years life. This offers a simple, low-cost, wire-free, installation.
Forces acting on a vehicle are constantly recorded, so that in the event of an accident, an accurate reconstruction is possible. An additional 20 seconds prior to, and 10 seconds after the crash, are also recorded. This allows accident reconstructionists to ascertain how the vehicle was being driven.
Cara incorporates dual sensors, capable of capturing information from the slightest parking bump to the most severe high-speed crash.
Personal Injury Claims (PICs) make a significant contribution to the cost of most collisions. Whiplash injuries are often suffered to the soft tissues of the neck and are hard to quantify. It is often difficult to measure the severity of a minor impact because modern vehicle bumper systems recoil to show little signs of the impact. The crash recorders provide quantitative evidence as to the severity of an accident.
- Fast simple crash reconstruction
- Reduce exaggerated PICs
- Determine fault
- Deter risky and unsafe drivers
Cara Key Specification
- Self contained crash recorder with internal lithium power pack
- Typical battery life 4-5 years with up to 1000 driving hours per year
- Records G-force on three axes
- Records up to four crashes
- Records 20 seconds of build up to each crash
- Records 10 seconds of the aftermath of each crash
- Automatic sampling rate selection
- Automatic range selection
- Robust ABS enclosure
- Crash recorder fits underneath driver’s or front or rear passenger seats
- Easily installed in all vehicles using only high strength adhesive tape
Cara Detailed Specification
- Measures ± 16 g in three axes on low range and ± 50g in two axes on high range
- Sampling rate 10Hz buildup/ aftermath/ sleep, 100Hz drive, 1kHz precrash and crash modes
- G-force accuracy ±10% on both ranges
- Timebase accuracy ± 5% in all modes
- Resolution 0.01g in all three axes in all modes on low range sensor
- Resolution 0.4g in Acceleration / Break and Left / Right axes in crash mode on high range sensor
- Simple download of crash data to host computer
- Crash data frozen after switch off
- 3.5mm jack provides RS232 link for data download
- Simple download of crash data to USB port on host computer using Blacktrack download adaptor
- Time and date stamp for each crash
- Dimensions - 85 x 65 x 22mm
- Weight - 110g